Three new features have been added to OnyxFest – the first and only Indiana theater festival dedicated to showcasing the work of Black playwrights.
For the first time, festival goers can purchase group tickets with discounts for more than 10 at a time. In addition, individuals can purchase the OnyxFest 2023 Pass for all five performances at a savings.
“It is critical to A.R.T.I. to sustain the consistent growth of OnyxFest we have experienced from year to year. We want to explore creative methods to reach that audience we have not yet accessed. Group sales, season pass discounts and comps for Central Indiana students will help us move forward in that direction,” said Vernon A. Williams, Director of OnyxFest and member of the Africana Repertory Theater of IUPUI (A.R.T.I.).
A third new feature will be utilization of sponsor dollars to provide complimentary tickets to Indianapolis Public Schools (IPS) and Central Indiana high schools to better acquaint young people with live theater. Educators and administrators interested in free tickets for students should reach out at: email@example.com
OnyxFest 2023 will be staged November 3-5 at IndyFringe Basile Theater and November 10-12 at the Crispus Attucks Auditorium. General admission is $15 and tickets are on sale online at: https://indyfringe.org/OnyxFest/
For information, visit onyxfest.com.
Friday, November 3 through Sunday, November 5 at the IndyFringe Basile Theater:
- Friday, November 3: “TIGONE” by Levi Frazier, Jr. at 6:30 pm; and “5 MOODS OF BLACK ANGUISH” by Josiah Ray McCruiston at 8:00 pm.
- Saturday, November 4: “RIGHT BEHIND YOU” by D.L. Patrick at 1:30 pm; “BABE” by Delores Thornton at 3:00 pm; “5 MOODS OF BLACK ANGUISH” by Josiah Ray McCruiston at 4:30 pm; “TIGONE” by Levi Frazier, Jr. at 6:00 pm; and “THE HEART OF A MAN” by Ardre Orie at 7:30 pm.
- Sunday, November 5: “BABE” by Delores Thornton at 3:00 pm; “THE HEART OF A MAN” by Ardre Orie at 4:30 pm; and “RIGHT BEHIND YOU” by D.L. Patrick at 6:00 pm.
Friday, November 10 through Sunday, November 12 at the Crispus Attucks High School Auditorium:
- Friday, November 10: “TIGONE” by Levi Frazier, Jr. at 6:30 pm; and “BABE” by Delores Thornton at 8:00 pm.
- Saturday, November 11: “RIGHT BEHIND YOU” by D.L. Patrick at 1:30 pm; “THE HEART OF A MAN” by Ardre Orie at 3:00 pm; “BABE” by Delores Thornton at 4:30 pm; “5 MOODS OF BLACK ANGUISH” by Josiah Ray McCruiston at 6:00 pm; and “TIGONE” by Levi Frazier, Jr. at 7:30 pm.
- Sunday, November 12: “5 MOODS OF BLACK ANGUISH” by Josiah Ray McCruiston at 3:00 pm; “RIGHT BEHIND YOU” by D.L. Patrick at 4:30 pm; and “THE HEART OF A MAN” by Ardre Orie at 6:00 pm.
About A.R.T.I. (Africana Repertory Theatre of IUPUI):
The Africana Repertory Theatre of IUPUI (ARTI) is a program of study offered by the IU School of Liberal Arts at IUPUI, the School of Education and the IUPUI Office of Community Engagement using a multidisciplinary approach to “edutainment.” ARTI was developed
to document and artistically reflect the history, cultural life, and politics of peoples of the African Diaspora. As a public arts initiative, ARTI has a deep commitment to and focuses on artistic and community engagement. Learning in the arts is invaluable at all stages of
life, and the integration of the arts into the fabric of community life may advance civic engagement while also creating a college and career pathway.
The Indianapolis Theatre Fringe Festival (IndyFringe) founded in 2005 is a place, an event, a movement, an incubator for new talent and a magnet for imaginative and thoughtful people. IndyFringe established OnyxFest in 2011 to counter the lack of diversity
both on stage and in audiences of Indianapolis theatre. The annual festival is a vehicle to expose theatergoers to new and emerging Black playwrights. IndyFringe is best known for the annual IndyFringe Festival that transforms Mass Ave in downtown Indianapolis into a vibrant, eclectic and exciting festival avenue.