OnyxFest would like to thank all involved in the most successful event in the 12-year history of this powerful and unique festival featuring the works of Black playwrights. OnyxFest is not only the first but remains the only Indiana theater festival exclusively dedicated to authentic stories depicting Black lives and culture.
Sponsored by the Africana Repertory Theatre of IUPUI (A.R.T.I.), in conjunction with IndyFringe Indianapolis, we extend heartfelt appreciation to the Indianapolis area and beyond; and for those who came and supported us this year, giving a 55% increase in ticket sales over last year. We proudly acknowledge actors, technicians, volunteers, and all who worked behind the scenes to make the magic; and that starts with those creative and talented individuals whose scripts were selected to be transcended from the page to the stage.
That includes the playwrights and directors of OnyxFest 2022:
- Celeste Williams, playwright of BLACK IS MY COLOR, co-directed by TaMara E’Lan G and Manón Voice.
- Gabrielle Patterson, playwright and director of YOUR LOVE WILL BE JUDGED.
- Rain Wilson, playwright and director of POLICE STATE.
- Charla Booth, playwright of MAJESTIES, directed by Shandrea Funnye.
- Michael Florence, playwright of HOUSELESS, NOT HOMELESS, directed by Eric Washington.
- Vernon A. Williams, playwright of A NOISE IN THE ATTIC, directed by Debora Farrell.
There would’ve been no OnyxFest had it not been for the generous support of sponsors that include: The Central Indiana Community Foundation (CICF), IUPUI, The Indiana University Office of The Vice President for Diversity, Equity & Multicultural Affairs, Barnes & Thornburg, LLP, The Indianapolis Recorder, IUPUI Office of Community Engagement, and the IU School of Liberal Arts Africana Studies at IUPUI.
THANK YOU TO OUR SPONSORS!
Finally, we give a standing ovation to every man, woman, and child who was a part of our spirited audiences! The energy, engagement, and enthusiasm of those who attended these performances was much apart of each show as what took place on the stage, and we appreciate you!
Thank you, thank you, thank you! We look forward to seeing you in 2023. Stay tuned to onyxfest.com and follow us on social media.